2021 ALAA Conference
Sunday 4 July – Tuesday 6 July 2021
**CALL FOR ABSTRACTS OPEN**
Conference theme: Boldly Academic: Defining, Supporting and Celebrating Legal Scholarship
The ALAA conference will be jointly hosted by The University of Sydney Law School and University of Technology Sydney Law Faculty. The conference will be a hybrid model, with all conference sessions being accessible for in-person attendance or Zoom attendance. Speakers may elect to present either in-person or via Zoom. In-person attendance will depend on state and federal government health guidelines in place at the time of the conference.
The theme of the Conference has been chosen to enable exploration and celebration of legal scholarship and the role of the academic.
” Legal academics are not failed practitioners or wannabe sociologists. Law schools are not adjuncts to the profession. Legal teachers and researchers have made and continue to make significant contributions to the law, the legal profession, the community and society at large. The 2021 ALAA conference will celebrate these contributions. We will explore the role of legal scholars and the legal academy in the 21st century; identify and commemorate the heroes of legal scholarship; examine ways to better define, measure and support legal research; celebrate innovation within Australasian law teaching and scholarship; and identify strategies for supporting academic wellness, professional development and career success”.
The conference theme is a broad one, but sub-theme areas may include:
- Why legal scholarship matters
- The future of legal scholarship in a neoliberal higher education environment
- Problematising Western hegemony in contemporary legal scholarship
- Indigenous perspectives on legal scholarship
- The relationship between legal scholarship and impact
- The role of the law school in the 21st century
- Teaching and scholarship in a post-COVID world
- The relationship between scholarship and legal education and the tension between knowledge and skills
- Legal scholars we admire and their influence
- The contemporary relevance of the ‘great man’ approach to legal scholarship
- ALAA interest groups are encouraged to propose sub-themes relating to their interest group focus.
Call for papers
Online registration will open soon.